Tuesday, January 01, 2008

new years...

This time round, I'm wasn't around in Malaysia to celebrate the advent of the new year. Yeap. I was away. Tucked in my bed, in a hotel room, in New Jersey. I didn't even stay awake to countdown with the people on tv in Times Square. I was just too tired from my flight.

Wanted to do this yesterday, JUST as most people did before the year ended: a quick reflection of 2007.

This was a very odd year for me. Plenty of farewells, and parting of ways. Many weddings (though I did not get to go for many), many new friendships forged, and had friends who had pregnancies.
The first half of the year I was in a different continent, then in the second half of the year. My perspective, my outlook on things has also changed.

Honestly, I believe my second half of the year was really good. Who knew that as soon as I came back, I would jump into ministry and reach out to students. I guess after all the years of being a 'senior' student, trying to help 'junior' students, I've finally found a calling.

Leading. Mentoring. Shepherding. Dare I say it? Pastoring.

In the midst of wanting to do all this, I had exams. It did not stop me, however, as I already had made a decision to do what was important, and what God wanted me to do. I am glad that I had worked hard in the midst of studying, or else I would have missed out on a lot. I would have missed being God's instrument, and missed the joy of seeing some growing up, and KNOWING that I had a part to play in it.

Thank you God for including me.

If there were big words this year that I would carry to 2008, these would be it:
Decided, obedient, follow, lead.

Some verses that truly applied to me:

Matthew 6:
33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Romans 8:
28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

31What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?

37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Phil 3:
12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Happy new year peeps! May 2008 be a blessed year for many. Another year to push forward and grow!

2 comments:

M said...

What are you doing in jersey?

peasantboy said...

interviews in new york