Wednesday, March 29, 2006

the way we look at the world

Interesting movie I just watched. Crash. I can understand why it won the academy award for best movie.

It's strange how, sometimes, we look at skin color and cringe. Or to have a certain preconception about someone you don't even meet. Maybe not everyone has this habit, but I for one, certainly fall victim. It's sad really. I judge quickly. As quick as a predator would pounce on its victim as soon as it has the chance.

It's worse when someone gives me a bad impression the first time I meet them. It lasts quite a while before that person gets to clear his/her name. And here I am, complaining that ppl shouldn't be making judgements on the first impression.

All those times that I may have not helped someone with my 100% just because I thought they'd not deserve it. Yet, I'm being good here, and doing them a favor. Hurray for Ian the savior!

Man. Sometimes, I feel my name's spelt as H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E.

Anyway, for all those who are movie lovers, I highly recommend crash. Watch it and you'll understand what I'm trying to say. It's even funnier when you find yourself rooting for certain characters for the weirdest reasons. Some being, not liking certain characters eventhough they can turn good in the end. The story had many values to learn about, and the most impt at the end of the day is that, given the right chance, anyone can change for the better. Agree?

3 comments:

M said...

Or given the chace, anyone will take advantage of another and be the very thing that they so despise in others.

lishun said...

there was an interesting discussion on oprah about "crash".

one question that really stuck in my head is...let's say i'm walking down the road and a man of race A (a race often portrayed as not trustworthy and responsible for most of the crime in malaysia) is walking towards me on the same side of the road.

if i stiffen up and cross over to the other side to avoid him...does that mean i'm being racist? or am i merely acting on my instincts?

i didn't watch "crash" but there was a scene in the movie when ludacris' character was talking to his friend about sandra bullock's reaction to seeing them. she made an instant judgement about them and was immediately on her guard. but then he conceded that her impressions were right and then he and his accomplice proceeded to carjack the couple.

so is it racism? or instinct?

peasantboy said...

yeah. that scene. it's true. sometimes, i find i do that myself. but really. out of precaution or racism. who knows?