Thursday, June 29, 2006

are we so numb?

Are we so numb? Numb to the fact that this world is so diseased ? That people not only live and die, but suffer from ailments that cannot be cured? Once in a while we are awed by disasters of great propensity, but the ones that which are smaller, we tend to let it be wiped off our minds. True. We cannot store and live in lives full of grief, but without crisis like this, we never learn.

Seeing an Alzheimer's patient really tore my heart, when I started thinking about my parents. No they do not have Alzheimers, but I would most certainly start crying more and more each time I see them, if they did.
I've come to realise, I really appreciate my parents.

When I was young and helpless, and couldn't control my bladder and bowel, my parents changed me and fed me. Kept me from the warm. Sheltered me, and looked at me with love even when they feel tired.
When I was learning to walk, and I would get tired sometimes, my parents would lift me, as I was their bundle of joy, and eventhough they were tired themselves, I was like gold. They would hold me up in their arms.
When I was at that age, when I was learning to form words in my mouth to speak, my parents patiently listened to me and their eyes lit with adoration each time I said something.
When I was curious, and asked so many questions, repeatedly, they answer patiently, trying a different method of explaining things. Never did they tire.
When I was going through school, and had homework to do, my parents would sit and teach, even if they didn't know the work I was doing. They pushed me for excellence and nothing less, and they gave me their very best.
When I was a teenager and I was rebellious, and I would argue my way out of everything, and wanted to do everything, even when I sometimes knew it wasn't good for me, they would still feed me, give me advise when I need it, a hug when I'm down.
When I was 18, and had to go off to college, I was glad to leave home and start anew somewhere else, eventhough I knew my parents would miss me.
I finally got into med school and now Canada. My parents are paying a large sum of money for me to be here. Sometimes, I feel I never tell them enough how much I appreciate them.

Seeing patients that forget more and more each day about their lifes and sometimes even the people around them, I feel so afraid that I'll never get to spend good quality time with my parents anymore. I wish to do them proud and hail as Dr Chik.
Sometimes, so much so, that that desire exceeds my dreams of becoming a doctor.

Are we so numb to our surroundings? Have we forgot who and what circumstances has brought us here? Please. For all of you out there, before you lose something, please please appreciate your loved ones.
Some days, I cannot bear to see another patient's daughter or son, look at you with despair in their eyes, as tears start to well up, wondering: why is my father becoming like this?

Ephesians 6:
2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

4 comments:

deb said...

sweet blog. true words. for such a melacholy person like me I don't think I'd survive in an environment of disease and death. and life. right. but thanks for the reminder.

and your parents kept you from the cold right? not the warm. ; )

M said...

Diseases that rob you of your mind is far worse than those that rob you of your body. Very sad indeed.

peasantboy said...

no... from the warm. they sent me to canada... muahahaha. no u are right. form the cold. typo...

i agree. i rather die of cancer than live with dementia... sniff

peasantboy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.