Saturday, June 10, 2006

when you're bored and you have nothing to blog about...

Wow. That title in itself probably took up most of my blog ideas. Sad.
Just jk. But I will however be posting some pics up of my shaving escapade. Woo hoo. It shall be titled: My journey- the road hair-less. (Okay, I admit. It was lame. It's supposed to be the road travelled less. This is for all those who weren't quite sharp)

The one thing that I DID want to share in this blog, is my many encounters with the many people from all walks of life. All not knowing where my homeland. Some pretend that they know, and they are shocking embarassed by bold stupid statements. Some are honest and I explain to them where it is (South of Thailand, north of Singapore). Some are just curious.

"Oh, yeah, Malaysia. That's near Somalia right?"

"Oh! Where abouts in Malaysia are you from?"
"From Melaka. Do you know the geography of Malaysia?"
"No. I only know Kuala Lumpur."

"OOOOhhhhh. Malaysia. Where is it ?"

"So, where are you from?"
"Malaysia."
"Oh I see. So, what's the main economy of Indonesia?"
"MALAYSIA produces mainly oil and rubber. We have other industries too, but MALAYSIA'S mainly supported by the export of its oil."
"That's interesting. I've never been to Indonesia before. Wonder what it's like."

Aiyaiyaiyai. If there are more responses like this, I'll just jump of a building.
Okay. Maybe not so dramatic. But it's sad to know, that your country is known less than its neighbours Thailand and Singapore, while all this while, Malaysians make fun of Thailand as a place where husbands (unfaithful ones that is), get their freak on (or whatever you would like to call it). A visit to the bookstore (Chapters), I saw many books on Thailand (5 different ones), and only one about Malaysia, which was shared with Singapore. AND, Singapore had half, or more than half the pages of the book about it. Singapore, the tiny island has more interesting things than Malaysia, the 13 state and 1 federal territory country. Probably 50 times bigger than Singapore.

I guess all the efforts to 'Visit Malaysia' has not reached this side of the world yet. Most unfortunate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha...sooo bitter!
but you know...thailand's got pineapple fried rice...

by the way is malaysia a city or a country??? just kidding... ;)

m.