Friday, July 14, 2006

consumerism

Are you a consumer?
Do you find yourself buying clothes that define 'your sense of style'?
Are you finding yourself buying more products in line with 'your lifestyle'?
Are you known to buy a certain line of clothing, brand, product?
For instance, are you a mac user or a pc user?
Are you a rocker, a hip hopper, or punk rock, or even a jazz person?
Do you find yourself often saying, X brand is the best, I will only use this?

My last question:
Are you known for what you buy? Or are you known for your personality?

If the answers to most of the questions are yes, and you are known for the things you buy, you are a consumer.
I was reading an article on this and it is interesting. We have become a consumer generation. We are non longer known for out values but know by people for the things we wear, the music we listen to, or perhaps even by the amount we buy.

What's even more sad is that, most of us (christians included of course), we think more about what we are to wear tmrw, or what's the next gadget one can buy, or the latest album or book out in the stores soon. What happened to being known as a person with values? It still exists. I know. It's not completely wiped out, but take a moment to reflect, and I trust you too will find that that it mostly true. We are consumers.

AND when we go to church, we consume. We want to be blessed by God. We want gains, promises, riches, blessings, company. How many can sincerely say that they go to church to purely worship and bring glory to God? I know I can't. I'm as guilty as the coal is black. Time to go back to the basics eh?

1 comment:

deb said...

I hear you man. consumerism has been making me feel ill in how much wealth there is and contrast that to how little others have ... it's so sick. and yet, I still hope for a second cup iced white mocha. ick.