Friday, July 07, 2006

the dark night

Twang. Bang bang. Bang. Twang.

Gunshots in the night. Need to cover from fire. Have to hide. Why are this people shooting at me? What do I have that they want ? There's no reason to kill me. What does George Bush have against me?
I'm not safe here. Please let me go. I'll be better at home. I don't trust anyone here.

In the dark, only sounds could be heard. When the lights are off, and the night creeps into the room, the sounds, the sounds. they come again. Night after night. Sleepless nights of worry and anxiety.

I'M NOT CRAZY. I've not lost my marbles. Everything was good at home. It's just turning worse here. I know they are trying to poison me through the food. I won't eat I tell you.


The above is an account of how a person, turning 90++, is losing their mind. Not figuratively. Literally losing their mind. The wits get dulled, the memory dimmed, and more and more, they are amnestic. Child like.

Lost of cognition skills.

Inability to function.

Like the dark dark night, it comes, and all that was once seen in light, is consumed in the black matter.

Dementia is like that dark dark night. When one no longer sees, no longer knows, no longer is able to differentiate..
The decline of oneself, dementia is truly like the dark night.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Yes. Dementia is a scary thing. It breaks my heart when little old ladies wheel around in their little wheelchairs, crying, squeezing your hand with their dear life, asking you where home is? "I want to go home but I'm lost" She said. I don't know what to say so I pat her hand and told her that dinner is getting ready soon. Then leave. :(

deb said...

wow. that is sad. so sad.

on a totally different note: you're such a bum... I can't mention anything to you without it being overused, abused and exploited. (evil eye) ai yah.

(shaking head)... (but not angrily)