Thursday, July 12, 2007

what's next

Today, the IMU core met, and for the first time, I believe I was doing what I felt IMU should have done in a long time. My only prayer is that, this will not be the first and last, but for many more to come. It'll sound a little too gung ho when I say this, but time to raise a generation for God.

I spilled my heart out about what I felt we should be doing for IMU, and how we can be a little more deliberate with what we do (notice how I used the word deliberate, haha). Among some of the points I shared was, about how deliberate about doing God's work, be it raising new leaders, following up with people, engaging one to one with new people, or people who have yet to know or come to know Christ.

I remember how when I was still studying in IMU, and how PC or Nai Yee would keep asking us about our progress with people, or teach us ways that were effective, I would listen, but at the same time, I only did when I was asked or what I was asked to. I don't know, whether I was being thick, or just apathetic, I never did quite go past the 'list' on my own initiative.
Looking back, it was fear and pride that halted my progress most of the time, fear of lack of time to study, fear of rejection, fear for a lack of listeners and being prideful, thinking that surely I am doing enough (right?).

As I was praying for the meeting today, I came across 1John 4:18
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."

God's perfect love for me, should be more than sufficient to drive me to do all things that is outside my comfort zone. God's love for people and hence, my love for people, should not and cannot be reigned by fear.
Hmmm, there's more to that verse that I'm not getting, I'll have to meditate on it. :)

No comments: