Saturday, January 06, 2007

criticism

It's hard to be a critic sometimes, and it's hard to receive criticism. I'm sure everyone (definitely including I) prefer to be on the giving end.

Today, I watched as a fellow colleague get yelled at for a mistake he made. Bear in mind, we are students, and as much as possible, we should have least mistakes as possible, but with so many things in medicine, it's impossible at times to not make a mistake.

Well, diverting away from today's incident and talking on a more general term, I think about myself, and as much as possible, I try not to criticize. Unfortunately, I still do. (I know I know, some of you are giving me that look, with a smirk on your face.)

While growing up, I faced a lot of harsh criticism, and for the better of it, I've grown to check myself often to make sure that I don't make certain mistakes. It's sad though that sometimes I think myself, too bad I'm not extraordinarily good at this particular thing, or else I would totally be arrogant about it and someone would get bad criticism if I caught them doing it wrong. Haha. (That's why God made me the way I am, so that I'd be humble.)

These days, I'm learning to critisize in a manner that's more building. Every once in a while, I forget, and I blow or act like a spoilt brat/contipated man.

This was something I caught in the clinic I was working at, and I think it's a very good reminder of who we are and what we all go through.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato

No comments: