Sunday, January 21, 2007

when i grow up i want to be...

When we were young, every once in a while, we get asked by our parents, by their friends, what we want to be when we grow up.

Astronaut. Taxi driver. Doctor. Teacher. Lawyer. Singer. Comic artist. Fireman. Engineer. Policeman. Garbage collector. Businessman. Superhero. Etc etc etc.

Some of us more fixed with what we want to do, some not as certain until the last year where applications are due, and most people are just baffled with what they want to do. While some put serious thoughts into the longer run of things, some, some dabble on things of today, or rather, things in the shorter run.

I for one, during highschool, always wanted to be in the 'popular' crowd. Of what I now think as the most awkward years of anyone's life (at least mine), I still have no idea why I had no better sense then to avoid such a silly notion (of wanting to be popular).
I remember, trying to hang out with the popular group, making sure I get invited into all the groups outings, knowing what there is to know, and what is needed to be known if one is to be recognized as one of them in the group. Dressing in 'cool' clothes, speaking in codes that only group members understood.

Silly isn't it? If the I, the current me, was in that position 10 years ago, I would have learned not to opt for the superficial things, but choice things that matter. In the long run anyways.

Today, I find myself more cautious, asking myself each time I do something, what's the drive or the purpose behind the thought and action. I have to ensure, it's not for reasons that are of no benefit to me.

Sometimes, I wish I could think more longitudinally and laterally at the same time. But then, I would be a god wouldn't I ? Today, I have to choose, not just for tomorrow, but the days that follow. Be it job, be it any kind of work or relationships.

p/s: .... i want to be a greatly skilled general surgeon ;)

2 comments:

lishun said...

general? appendectomies for life!

peasantboy said...

gallbladders and hernias too