Wednesday, June 13, 2007

in love

Before I proceed to misled anyone, I must clarify, this post is not about me falling in love. :p

Now moving on to business.

Talking about love has always produced many ideas. I have heard of so many discussions about love, whether it's about a BG relationship, a child-parent kind of love, and of course there is also the God and us kind of love. (There's a whole long list for types of love, but I'm not going to dive in that direction. Not today anyways).

During yesterday's campus meeting, there was the discussion of love, because there was a brief discussion about BG relationship. When love and the bible comes into discussion, I believe most people would instantly think about 1 Cor 13 (Myself at least anyways). Many years ago, if you would to ask me, I would say it is a feeling. That's why, when it's silent, I feel like I'm not being loved, or I'm not loving God. It's also the same reason I use, that everytime I feel a weird euphoric, I claim I am in love. (Hmmm, a bit shallow I was).

I will always remember during Stephen's stag party, when Josh gave him the advice, that love is not a feeling, that love is a choice, I came to realization that my version of love was somewhat incorrect. It makes a little more sense then that love is patient, love is kind etc, because all this are not innate capabilities. In verse 7 of 1Cor13, it goes on to say, "It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

Now, I always used to think that it's only natural that when one loves another, they will protect them from harm, from evil and the whole nine yards. Whether it is family, or a relationship.

Then, this was quoted during the campus meeting yesterday.
Philippians 1:9-11
And this is my prayer:that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ - to the glory and praise of God.

It speaks on many levels. The one that we talked about yesterday, is between opposite genders. To love a fellow brother or sister, one must be also aware, that in true love, one does not stumble the other, being in friendship or courtship. To discern what is best for one another, and not just for oneself. Love is not self seeking.

Even among friends, a great love between friends, would mean doing things in such a way that it will not cause another to fall. It means, watching each other's language, watching each other's actions. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

Hmm. I guess, I really have to be careful with what I say, or what I do. For truly, when we choose to love someone, we must also be committed to build that person, and not cause them to fall.

Does that make sense?

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

i think its true for love at all levels, not only a marriage relationship.

its worth noting that paul was writing this in context, to the church in phillipi...

Its ironical however, that the way he writes it seems so personal its like he's writing to a person, maybe his favourite disciple...

Having feelings that strong for a body of people that he'd probably led to the faith, and watched grow, that's the love of a leader. Something I wish I have.

peasantboy said...

the thing about the bible, which i find really special sometimes, is that it speaks on many levels. somehow, God meant it that way.
although u are right, Paul wrote to the ppl in Philippi for a different reason, wrong relationships...
well u konw what i mean

jon. love for ppl, is something u develop. some may have a head start. but really? it's something we all have to work at

lishun said...

not about the self. a recurring theme this week, for me at least. possibly one of the toughest lessons there is, considering we're naturally conditioned to care about the self first. oh well.

peasantboy said...

there's lots of lessons to be learnt. i guess? just as long as u realize and work ur way towards it...