Sunday, November 27, 2005

a mother's love

Another week has gone by. It means, another week closer to the exams.

I'm done with peds wards. Finally. Not that it was dreadful, but it was tiring. And honestly, had lots of good exp while I was there, and get this, I was told that i have a very sweet approach to kids.
Now everyone say AWWW together. :)

Anyhow, the one thing I saw and learnt about in peds wards that really really awes me, and nearly teared me, was a mother's love. Imagine if you were a mother, who's son should be old enough to dress himself at least, or even feed himself or go relieve his bladder by himself, but can't. What would you do if one of ur family members are to be like that. With NO chance to getting better, with the same kind of condition and will never properly developed in motor and language skills? To sit by him everyday and clean him and feed him. To wait hand and foot on him. OR how about the mother who knows her daughter has a chronic illness which will eventually but slowly kill her? JUST when you would go 'oh dear' or 'oh no', you realise something. The mum doesn't react the same way as you do. She gazes at her child with so much affection, and even though sometimes they complain, I was really able to see how deep her love was for her child.

The thing that really almost brought me to tears was this one particular patient. This child was going to have multiple medical issues, was developmentally delalyed and wasn't going to live as long as most of us. After taking care of her for 3 weeks, I felt like it was impossible to take care of this kid forever. When she was sick she would just cry. Hungry? Cry. Diarrhea? Cry. (yes I know this sounds like a baby, but she wasn't).
And while I was with both mum and babe, guess what I heard mum sing?

Jesus loves you! This I know,
For the Bible tells me so.
Little ones to Him belong;
They are weak, but He is strong.

REFRAIN
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

I almost cried. It was touching how a mother's love supercedes everything. This truly reminded me of God and how He loves us no matter what the circumstances, no matter how rotten we are. Thank you Lord.

Here's the rest of the song just in case you wanted it.

Jesus loves me! This I know,
As He loved so long ago,
Taking children on His knee,
Saying, “Let them come to Me.”

Refrain

Jesus loves me still today,
Walking with me on my way,
Wanting as a friend to give
Light and love to all who live.

Refrain

Jesus loves me! He who died
Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin,
Let His little child come in.

Refrain

Jesus loves me! He will stay
Close beside me all the way;
Thou hast bled and died for me,
I will henceforth live for Thee.

Refrain

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

good one ian...i think we're all gonna come into contact with heartbreakers during our lives as future docs..the fact that we continue to be moved by them shows our heart is still in the right place:-)

peasantboy said...

thanks jon. it is going to be a heart breaker isn't it? but at least u know, there's nothing greater than a mother's love for her child.